Australian Summer starts at the end of November, and from then until February, universities in Australia close for summer holidays (3 months break).
Our trip to the East Coast: Cairns to Melbourne
- After collecting all the money I saved plus a couple part-time jobs on the side of studying, we started our big adventure doing the East Coast for over 6 weeks. We flew to Cairns and stopped in every single town of the Australian East Coast with a bus pass. This involved a lot of uncomfortable sleeps, bumpy rides and so many dirty hostels. Our lives as backpackers just begun.
|Figure 6: Australia’s East Coast main cities|
Our destinations were: Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef (A dream come true since I was a kid), Mission Beach, Harvey Bay, Rainbow Beach, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands, Fraser Island, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Byron Bay, Noosa, Sydney (again), Canberra and finally back to Melbourne.
The agency we used for the this trip was Greyhound.
Greyhound is a company that specialises in inner Australian trips throughout the East Coast and other famous destinations. Travelling with them was a lot better than other companies, we had wifi, charging points and water, which made the travels a bit more bearable. There is other companies available, some of them are cheaper, they get you to the same destinations, so it’s up to you and your budget which coach service you want to hire.
Some of my favourite places were:
- Cairns, the Esplanade (Must go the Great Barrier Reef)
- Turtle Island
- Mission Beach
- Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
- Noosa Beach
- Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise
- Byron Bay
- Sunshine Coast, the Steve Irwins’ Zoo
- Fraser Island